Welcome to MedRookie!

Register for Free to join this amazing group of Medical enthusiasts and start discussing.

How - Organic Chemistry?

Discussion in 'Lectures' started by QuickSelver, Feb 26, 2015.

1. QuickSelver

QuickSelver Active Member

Ratings:
    +113 / 0 / -0
    How did you study for your Organic Chem class? How did you memorize all the stuff that makes little to no sense.
    What books did you use to study for orgo?

2. Plasmin

Plasmin New Member

Ratings:
    +43 / 0 / -0
    Organic chemistry was a nightmare. It should be illegal :rolleyes:
    But since, Human Right Watch haven't banned it yet, we don't have a choice.
    So I think the key is repetition... And maybe try to write them down? Some of my class mates were so desperate they put some equations and molecules as desktop backgrounds on their laptops. So they would read whenever they turned on their computers. It helped.

• Like Like x 4
  3. MedEdGuru

MedEdGuru Administrator
    Staff Member

Ratings:
    +83 / 0 / -0
    Plasmin Thats a creative way to get to know the orgo material! Index cards helped me through it all and learning through a variety of ways - video, flash cards, memory game, teaching it to others, etc.

• Like Like x 3
  4. QuickSelver

Ratings:
    +113 / 0 / -0
    I feel like videos helped me the best but consumed a lot of my time. In the end I ended up using the flash card method which worked like well. I also find it that if i repeatedly write something down over and over again I tend to memorize it very well.
    Overall Orgo was HELL! I need to understand stuff to memorize it, with organic chemistry you really cant understand anything until you get down the road to biochemistry.

• Like Like x 3
  5. rosequartz

rosequartz Member

Ratings:
    +95 / 0 / -0
    #5 rosequartz, Mar 28, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 28, 2015
    Well, I'll be taking Organic Chemistry this summer and our textbook is Organic Chemistry by Janice Smith. The 1000+ pages have me worried. Plus, many students tell me it's not easy, so I bought Organic Chemistry for Dummies as well because chemistry isn't exactly my favorite subject. The book arrived two days ago, and the mechanisms look daunting. Are all of them really that important? How do I not mix them up? I hope to have read the Dummies book before class starts in mid-May.

I find the description amusing and scary, but I like the background idea, and will surely use it when the time comes. Thank you for sharing that. :)

I second the teaching it to others tip, it really reinforces all that one learns and helps in quick recall. And I really like teaching others, so I started a blog where I post my notes for the classes I'm taking. It's in blooming phase right now. Hope to attract more students. *fingers crossed*

How does Biochemistry compare to Organic Chemistry? And what aspects of Inorganic chemistry are important for Biochemistry? I think chemical equilibrium (acids-bases) is significant. Sorry about all the questions, but I'm curious now.

6. QuickSelver

Ratings:
    +113 / 0 / -0
    If you're taking it this summer i recommend you start reading a bit now!
    I would say yes and no, Important because they will most likely be on the exam, not important because God knows when it will come up again.
    At times i pretend that im giving the lecture and teaching it to others. Works well!
    I prefer Biochemistry over Organic Chemistry however Bio will be much easier if you have a good understanding of Orgo.

• Like Like x 3
  7. rosequartz

rosequartz Member

Ratings:
    +95 / 0 / -0
    Yeah, I have started on it and finished reading the first four chapters. The first two are an overview of Organic chemistry principles and properties of organic compounds. The other two are on Alkanes and Halogenation. I'll be rereading these two today and try a whack at the problems.

There's a lot of stuff I wonder on if I'll ever use again. Taylor Series (in Calculus) tops for one.

I enjoy it especially because it's like a review of what you've studied and if the other person understands, you know you've got the concept right.

So all of chemistry is interconnected, everything is important to get the whole picture.

Now, I'm hopeful because if I can finish O-Chem by Fall, I can take Biochemistry next semester which means I start preparing for the MCAT that I should take early next year, and if all goes to plan, September should be the moment I've been waiting for. :)

Thank you for your answers QuickSelver.

8. QuickSelver

Ratings:
    +113 / 0 / -0
    Make sure you take many many practice exams! Just keep retaking them until you memorize them!

9. rosequartz

rosequartz Member

Ratings:
    +95 / 0 / -0
    Okay, I'll start doing that as well especially since these will be tested on the MCAT too. Thank you.

• Like Like x 2
  10. Kittie

Kittie New Member

Ratings:
    +8 / 0 / -0
    I haven't taken this class yet, but it's coming up very soon for me. I'm a little nervous about it because some of my friends have told me that it is a very fast-paced class with a lot of information to learn. I am usually really good at memorizing things, so hopefully that will help me out. I see a lot of sleepless nights in my near future!

11. Melly

Melly New Member

Ratings:
    +8 / 0 / -0
    I used the flash card method for the most part. The act of writing stuff down helps me to learn and then being able to take the flash cards anywhere and going through them when I have any spare time helps too. The ones I had the most trouble with I taped to the bathroom mirror and the refrigerator. For those who don't have time to make their own flash cards there are several sites that have them already done for you. :)

12. QuickSelver

Ratings:
    +113 / 0 / -0
    Extremely fast paced, and so much info crammed. Your best bet will be to just memorize. I was forced just to memorize and later down the road went into details and tried to understand what i had memorized.

Flash cards work wonders. I believe there are some flash cards you can download here in the resource section.

https://medrookie.com/resources/

13. rosequartz

rosequartz Member

Ratings:
    +95 / 0 / -0
    Yes, it is fast-paced, but as long as revise what's taught in a week over the weekend and practice problems you will not need to compromise on sleep. Also, try to get a hold of old exams to get an idea of what your professor tends so emphasize i.e. mechanisms and reagents, synthesis reactions or spectroscopy- NMR specifically. My organic chemistry II professor grilled us on NMR both in lecture and lab, while my first semester professor focused on mechanisms and Newman projections.

I can relate to this! :D I know the mechanism steps, just not completely sure why it's so. Honestly, I am glad to be done with organic chemistry!

• Like Like x 3
  14. Mr.Cat

Mr.Cat New Member

Ratings:
    +2 / 0 / -0
    I have been using Khan academy and youtube videos to study for organic chemistry.
    Thank you for all the useful resources.

15. DrEgan

DrEgan New Member

Primary Care Doctor and NP, Clinic Owner
    Covington, LA
    Ratings:
    +7 / 0 / -0
    I always found Google search to be quite helpful in getting me through classes which gave me trouble. Sometimes text books are written more for the author's peers (to impress them) than for students, and a lot of knowledge is lost in unnecessarily complicating a sentence or paragraph.

I find Google useful in these situations because it returns the same information, just presented in such a way I can actually understand it the first time I read it.

• Like Like x 2
  16. yuriokon

yuriokon New Member

Ratings:
    +4 / 0 / -0
    Google search is the way to go. I usually search for PDFs flash cards or videos.

17. TheDoc

TheDoc New Member

Ratings:
    +5 / 0 / -0
    Flash cards are life savers! Youtube is a great resource too.