Welcome to MedRookie!

Register for Free to join this amazing group of Medical enthusiasts and start discussing.

International Medical Admission Test (IMAT) Italy

Discussion in 'Other Entrance Examinations' started by rosequartz, Jan 16, 2016.

1. rosequartz

rosequartz Member

Ratings:
    +95 / 0 / -0
    #1 rosequartz, Jan 16, 2016
    Last edited by a moderator: Jan 23, 2016
    Hello everyone,

Two years ago, I self-studied the English IMAT exam, passed it and got accepted at one of the Italian public medial universities (though I did not attend per destiny). The test was neither too hard nor too easy but does require adequate preparation, specifically for the critical reasoning section. This thread is a mini-guide to learning about the test and self-studying for it. It is divided into the following parts:
    1. About the IMAT
    2. Preparing for the IMAT
    3. Registering for the IMAT
    4. IMAT Test Day
    5. Post IMAT Steps, Scores and Final Rank List
    6. Some Advice
    7. Useful Information Resources
    If you have any questions, please make a post on the thread or send me a message.

1. About the IMAT

The International Medical Admission Test (IMAT) is a standardized, multiple-choice examination administered by the Italian Ministry of Higher Education and Research (MIUR) for admission in one of the eight public Italian universities that offer six year undergraduate + Masters specialization Medicine degree in English. These universities also take part in ERASMUS Exchange programs and prepare students for USMLE. Non-EU candidates compete for a total of a 100 seats divided among the eight participating universities and those who make it on open merit get discounted tuition fee as low as 3000 Euros annually (compared to the actual expenditure of 18,000 euros per year).

Test Format: The test is of 90 points, lasts 100 minutes and comprises 60 MCQs divided into four sections:
    • Section 1: General knowledge and logical reasoning (22Q)
    • Section 2-4: Scientific knowledge (38Q = biology-18Q, chemistry-12Q, physics & Math -4Q each)
    Marking: Each correct answer carries 1.5 marks, incorrect: -0.4 marks, and no marks for unanswered question. An overall score and an individual section score is reported as ranking lists on the MIUR website. Students pass the test only if they obtain at least 20 points on the IMAT.

Test Date: The English IMAT was first held in April 2011 and has been held in April since until 2014. In 2015 the test was held on September 16.

Test Center: The test can be taken at national and international authorized centers and the registration fee is €120 (£105 or $164)- payable online.

2. Preparing for the IMAT
    • Explore the exam content outline along with sample question types on the test here.
    • Go through the IMAT Booking guide and register for the test on the UniversItaly website.
    • Start studying or reviewing! For the reasoning section, use either Critical Thinking Skills: developing effective analysis or Cambridge Thinking Skills (3 ed) along with A-Levels Thinking Skills papers as optional practice (available here or here). As for the sciences, just review the exam content topics from your high school/college science textbooks. Take advantage of your schools resources and online websites like Khan Academy. Aim to score over a 45 on the IMAT to stand a chance. Competition is fierce as around 3000-6000 candidates appear in the test for around a 100 non-EU seats.
    • Begin practice. Use the 400 BMAT Practice Questions book since it is most representative of the IMAT exam questions (exclude the essay section as it is NOT on the IMAT). Alpha Test also offers a lot of English practice question books with Italian explanations that are specifically for the IMAT. These were out of stock in my turn, but I think they could have helped me boost my score of 51 point something on the test. (Essential guide, 1200 quiz , and Esercizi commentate).
    • Get a hold of old IMAT exams and go through them. The exams released on the MIUR website are so arranged that the answer is A for all questions, except for IMAT 2013 Q14, which is C (P.S. Keep changing the year digit for the exam link to get 2011-14 tests). Don’t worry though, question papers with separate answer keys are also available on the Cambridge Assessment website. It is crucial to practice all of these papers before taking the actual test itself. Also, it helps to make a note of problems that you’re struggling with, find confusing or guess on. Focus on these questions as understanding them will potentially boost your score.
    • Additional resources include online courses. Check out the following courses and share your experiences if you decide to take them, might help someone else out; Leonardo’s School IMAT Course, Eurostudies online IMAT course.
    • Keep studying and practicing, reinforcing strengths and targeting weaknesses.
    3. Registering for the Test:
    Register for the IMAT test on the UniversItaly website when the IMAT online application opens up. In the past, registration started in March for the test in April. But last year, the test was held in September and registration opened up in July. I will try to update information about IMAT 2016 here.

Things you will need to register are:
    • Identification document: A passport or a permanent residence card is to be used as an ID. This ID needs to be reproduced on test day to be able to sit the test.
    • High School Results (all four years): These results need to be equated to Italian High school scores. You can use the equivalence score guide UniversItaly provides on the registration page or get your equivalence from the Italian Embassy beforehand. There is an option to add eight grade results too in case senior year high school scores are not out yet.
    • Credit, pre-paid or Debit card: A registration fee of 120 euros is to be paid online. An instant confirmation receipt will follow which you need to print and bring on test day.
    • English Proficiency Exam Results: IELTS, TOEFL of cambridge results carried five points in 2014 when the merit was to be determined. These results were not included in 2015. But you never know for 2016.
    The IMAT booking guide shared earlier has all the registration steps in more detail. Alternatively watch this video instead.

5. IMAT Test Day
    • Bring your identification document: Bring the ID (passport mainly) that you used to register for the test on the UniversItaly website. The invigilators will ask you to provide that document to verify your identity. Keep the registration confirmation receipt just in case.
    • Smart phones and other electronics: The center I took the test at asked us to switch of our smart phones and any electronics we had and place them into transparent sealable bags. Each of us got slips with numbers on them that matched the bag number with our stuff in it to collect after the tests ends.
    • Getting the test: Candidates are handed out two catalog envelopes, a sealed brown envelope and an empty, unsealed white envelop both with instruction written on top. The invigilators read those aloud before the test. The question booklet with rough pages at end and two scantron or bubble sheets are enclosed in the brown envelope. There are two bubble sheets as one is a spare in case you mess one sheet (Cross out the one you do NOT want scored). Lastly, there is a registration sheet as well. Open the brown envelope only when instructed by the invigilators. Remember to write the question booklet number and your roll number onto the bubble sheet where designated. And it helps to use a long ruler while filing in the bubble sheet to avoid missing or mixing up answers. Also, one of the invigilators will take a photograph of candidates while they take the exam as proof that actual students took the test, so do not get worked up about it.
    • Login Credentials Sheet: On test day, candidates receive a paper with login details (roll number and password) so they can access their results on the MIUR website. The final ranking list that shows overall IMAT scores and subsection scores will also be posted on this website, and candidates look up their scores by using these login credentials to sign in the private candidate area. DO NOT lose this paper.
    • Compliance at the end of the test: When the test duration completes, everything EXCEPT the registration sheet is to be enclosed in the WHITE envelope for the invigilators to collect. hand in the brown envelope too separately. Only keep the login credential sheet, your I.D. and writing utensil(s). I do recall a video about this process on the UniversItaly website. Browse around, you might find it, if it's still there.
    • Collect your stuff: Return the number slip to collect your smart phones and electronics. Perhaps they might hand you a Cambridge books catalog like my test center did, so take that too. Make sure you have your login credentials sheet as you will need to check up your score on the MIUR website two weeks from the test date.
    • Congratulate yourself for making it through the IMAT!
    5. Post IMAT Steps, Scores and Final Rank List (merit list)

Once the IMAT is over (phew!), visit the Italian consulate or embassy to get your high school grades, college transcripts and any other academic records equated and translated. Ideally, you want to be done with this within the two weeks before the scores are released and the rank list is posted. When result day arrives, use the login credentials page to see your score. If you got over a 20, you passed the IMAT and if you find you're in the top 50 candidates, you've definitely made it to your first choice university or first three preference universities. (see the 2014 Ranking List as a sample). It would be best to then submit your equivalence and translated transcripts to the consulate so they can send you your visa. This process has a deadline the consulate informs you about. Now, two separate national rank lists will be released next: a national rank list and a Non-EU rank list. Non-EU candidates need to verify there status from the university they have been selected at. Visit the university' website for the next steps. As my first choice was Pavia and I got accepted there, all the information I needed, along with the final national non-EU ranking list and enrollment steps, were posted on this page. However, this process varies for each institution, so you will have to find that out yourself.

6. Some Advice

[In progress, by Sunday for sure]

7. Useful Information Resources:

If you would like to learn more about the IMAT , please visit the following websites and link.
    • Med School Italy. (Excellent resource run by a Pavia graduate. Great for updates and information about life in Italian medical universities too).
    • MIUR website (Click ‘Medicina E Chirurgia odontoiatria E Protesti Dentaria à click ‘Corsi In Inglese’ for information on IMAT 2015 and previous years)
    • UniversItaly website (Choose the British flag for English)
    I hope this information helps. Best of luck! :)

P.S. New edits will be shown in red and please let me know of any broken links or technical issues.

• Like Like x 4
  2. QuickSelver

QuickSelver Active Member

Ratings:
    +113 / 0 / -0
    Good write up! Thanks! Defiantly favoriting this.

• Like Like x 3
  3. MedEdGuru

MedEdGuru Administrator
    Staff Member

Ratings:
    +83 / 0 / -0
    rosequartz Wow what great info on the IMAT exam. They are also offering this test around the world from March-May, which is nice in attracting students to attend medical school in Italy. A great pro is that Italian medical universities are much cheaper in tuition than medical schools in USA (around $3000-10,000 per year) and some teach in English.

Just out of curiousity, why didn't you attend medical school in Italy? Was there a better option? :)

• Like Like x 3
    • Agree Agree x 1
  4. rosequartz

rosequartz Member

Ratings:
    +95 / 0 / -0
    #4 rosequartz, Jan 23, 2016
    Last edited by a moderator: Jan 23, 2016
    Thank you, I'm glad you mentioned the tuition fee. I will add that to the original post as the tuition fee could be less than 3000 even depending on your financial situation. Also that this is a six year degree program (4 year bachelor + 2 year Master specialization degree).

Good question! I did not attend because I had not completed 12th grade at the time (i.e. had my finals going on in mid-May back then) and that was a prerequisite for getting the high school equivalency to apply for a student visa. My official result was announced in August and I had already missed the deadline for applying for the Italian visa and getting all the academic documents equated and translated. I didn't expect to get selected in the first place given the candidates I met in the exam hall who seemed much more promising than I did, I still see it as a miracle. Looking back, it was a good option and still is, but per circumstance I could not attend. I only hope the future holds good options for me or something similar. :rolleyes:

Thank you QuickSelver, appreciate it. Hope to have it completed on Sunday. :)

5. Kizzy

Kizzy New Member

Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0
    How long did it take you to self-study for the IMAT? What was your study plan and do you have any study tips?

• Useful Useful x 1
  6. QuickSelver

Ratings:
    +113 / 0 / -0
    I know a few people who spent anywhere from two to four months studying for the IMAT. Ill try to poke around for some study plans you can use.

When do you plan on taking it?

7. QuickSelver

Ratings:
    +113 / 0 / -0
    Take a look here, great write up about preparing for the IMAT. The article also includes some links to IMAT resources. Will try to dig up more when I get some free time.

https://medrookie.com/preparing-imat-exam/

• Informative Informative x 1
  8. Kizzy

Kizzy New Member

Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0
    Thank you so much! I'm hoping to take the exam in 2019.

9. MedRookie

MedRookie Administrator
    Staff Member

USA
    Ratings:
    +37 / 0 / -0
    • Like Like x 2
  10. Mr.Cat

Mr.Cat New Member

Ratings:
    +2 / 0 / -0
    They should consider administering a universal medical entrance exam. We need some standardization here...

11. TheDoc

TheDoc New Member

Ratings:
    +5 / 0 / -0
  12. TheDoc

TheDoc New Member

Ratings:
    +5 / 0 / -0
    This would be great but i dont see this happening anytime soon. Different countries have different expectations, regulations and each country/school would want it done their way i believe.

13. KH

KH New Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Hi
    Many thanks.
    Just wondering you had mentioned a minimum competitive score might be 50.
    1. Is that 50 out of a maximum of 90 marks?
    2. What is the statistics for all who got into an Italian medical school as far as the minimum score out of 90 for both EU and non-Eu applicants please?
    3. Is the number of European applicants smaller and therefore have less competition compared to the number of non-EU applicants?
    4. Are the fees significantly different for the MD in English program for EU and non-EU enrolled students on average?
    5. Are all Italian MD degrees recognised by WHO and the medical councils in Western Europe?
    6. Regarding the IMAT exam, do assessors look at scores for individual sections or just the overall score out of 90?
    7. Do the MD Degrees in English language studied in Italy have the same depth, standard, value, credibility, reputation and described by the same degree abbreviations (MD, etc) as medical degrees completed in Italy studied purely in Italian language?
    8. Does one have to sit the test for the same year of admission? Could one sit the test one year and apply for study for another year?

Much appreciated
    Hootan