Welcome to MedRookie!

Register for Free to join this amazing group of Medical enthusiasts and start discussing.

Official MCAT 2015 thread

Discussion in 'MCAT' started by MedEdGuru, Apr 18, 2015.

1. MedEdGuru

MedEdGuru Administrator
    Staff Member

Ratings:
    +83 / 0 / -0
    #1 MedEdGuru, Apr 18, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 19, 2015
    • Like Like x 2
  2. QuickSelver

QuickSelver Active Member

Ratings:
    +113 / 0 / -0
    What were the main changes implemented. I am not taking it but would love to hear from people that will take it. Would be great if someone could compare the old vs new one :)

3. martell_md

martell_md New Member

Ratings:
    +10 / 0 / -0
    MCAT2015 info from http://webcache.googleusercontent.c...cat2015-content.pdf+&cd=1&hl=en&ct=clnk&gl=us

The above link leads to a PDF of all things MCAT2015. I treat it like my new bible!

Bio Section:
    First-semester biochemistry, 25%
    Introductory biology, 65%
    General chemistry, 5%
    Organic chemistry, 5%

Chem Section:
    First-semester biochemistry, 25%
    Introductory biology, 5%
    General chemistry, 30%
    Organic chemistry, 15%
    Introductory physics, 25%

Psych/Soc Section:
    Introductory psychology, 65%**
    Introductory sociology, 30%
    Introductory biology, 5%

Reasoning Skills Section:
    Foundations of Comprehension, 30%
    Reasoning Within the Text, 30%
    Reasoning Beyond the Text, 40%

• Like Like x 3
  4. rosequartz

rosequartz Member

Ratings:
    +95 / 0 / -0
    Thank you for sharing martell_md and welcome to MedRookie. When do you plan to take the new MCAT?

This infographic offers a good comparison
    [​IMG]

• Like Like x 3
  5. QuickSelver

Ratings:
    +113 / 0 / -0
    • Like Like x 2
  6. martell_md

martell_md New Member

Ratings:
    +10 / 0 / -0
    I will most likely be taking it this August or September. Then, based on my performance, possibly again after that![DOUBLEPOST=1429470879][/DOUBLEPOST]
    No, I have not yet taken it. I plan to do so think coming Aug/Sept.

• Like Like x 3
  7. QuickSelver

Ratings:
    +113 / 0 / -0
    #7 QuickSelver, Apr 19, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 19, 2015
    Hopefully you will not have to retake! Do you guys think the new MCAT is better than the old one?

8. martell_md

martell_md New Member

Ratings:
    +10 / 0 / -0
    Based my research and study methods thus far, I am glad to be taking the new one compared to the old MCAT. I am a Psych minor at my undergrad institution was I am glad to be able to show what I know in that subject area! One downfall of the new MCAT is the two additional hours it will take to complete the assessment, in comparison to the old MCAT.

9. QuickSelver

Ratings:
    +113 / 0 / -0
    I find that is mostly the case that the new MCAT is much better from the student perspective. The 2 hour addition is a big bummer but everything else seems reasonable.

Are you planning on taking a class to help you prepare for this?

10. martell_md

martell_md New Member

Ratings:
    +10 / 0 / -0
    I will most likely just stick with my study books. ExamKracker has been the most helpful so far. I like having my own study schedule, instead of walking to the beat of someone else's drum, per se.

11. QuickSelver

Ratings:
    +113 / 0 / -0
    I completely agree im best with my own schedule. How many TOTAL hours of study will you have completed by the time you take the MCAT?

Would love to hear your opinion about ExamKracker here:
    https://medrookie.com/threads/examkrackers-vs-kaplan-what-do-you-prefer.337/

• Like Like x 2
  12. martell_md

martell_md New Member

Ratings:
    +10 / 0 / -0
    This is just a rough estimate, but close to 250hours. Also, forgot to mention this: about a year and a half ago I signed up for daily emails from AAMC with an MCAT2015 question and links to the correct answer and the rationale behind the answer. I have a binder with all of the daily email questions from the past year.

• Like Like x 2
  13. rosequartz

rosequartz Member

Ratings:
    +95 / 0 / -0
    I think you will definitely not need to retake as you've done your homework really well. All the best! (Y)
    I plan to take the MCAT sometime next Spring as by then I will have studied all the subjects on the new exam.

I agree with you here, the new tests too long. Psych is an interesting science. May I ask what your major is? I'm a Bio major (with minors in Economics and Business Administration-Management).

Are you using ExamKrackers for all subjects? How are you preparing for the CARS section?
    Eagerly look forward to your posts in the thread QuickSelver shared.
    QuickSelver you ask a lot of good questions. :)

Would you like to share those questions? I have got a collection of MCAT 2015 questions too that I will post soon after my finals end next month.

• Like Like x 2
  14. martell_md

martell_md New Member

Ratings:
    +10 / 0 / -0
    Here is an example of the MCAT2015 Question of the Day from yesterday:

Which of the following best describes what semantic and episodic memories have in common?

Please click on the correct answer:

A They refer to factual knowledge retained
    B Their activity is highly concentrated in the hippocampus
    C They are a type of working memory
    D They are most easily described in words

If you are interested in getting such emails, here is the link to sign up! http://www.mcatquestion.com/

• Like Like x 2
  15. QuickSelver

Ratings:
    +113 / 0 / -0
    Im as curious as many others will be about the new exam =D.

This is great to have! Even if you're not planning on taking the mcat just to stay brushed up on the subject. Thank you so much!

• Like Like x 3
  16. rosequartz

rosequartz Member

Ratings:
    +95 / 0 / -0
    Thank you, that's a wonderful website! I signed up for it last week as that's when I found out about it. There's also another one mcatquestionoftheyday but it isn't updated that regularly.

Absolutely. And even more people are curious about how candidates perform on it and how medical schools will interpret those scores. =D