Welcome to MedRookie!

Register for Free to join this amazing group of Medical enthusiasts and start discussing.

Which International Medical Schools Require the MCAT?

Discussion in 'MCAT' started by MedEdGuru, Oct 17, 2014.

1. MedEdGuru

MedEdGuru Administrator
    Staff Member

Ratings:
    +83 / 0 / -0
    All of the medical schools in the USA use the MCAT as an admissions test to matriculate into medical school, however there is a growing number of medical schools outside the USA that are also adopting the MCAT.

Now USA medical schools are a 4 year program and typically medical schools in Europe, Asia, and Africa are a 5-6 year program. So some of these medical schools listed below also offer a 6 year program AND a 4 year program.

International Schools That Require MCAT

EUROPE

Poznan University, Poland - 4 year program
    Jagiellonian University, Poland - 4 yr program
    Medical University of Lublin - for 4 year program
    University of Zagreb, Croatia - 4 yr program
    University of Nicosia - Cyprus
    ASIA
    Nazarbayev University School of Medicine, Kazakhstan - 4 yr program
    Duke-National University of Singapore, Singapore
    American University of Beirut, Lebanon
    University of Balamand - Lebanon

OCEANIA
    University of Queensland - Ochsner (Require MCAT or GAMSAT)

Mostly the 4 year programs abroad that are tailored for American students require only the MCAT. This is a growing list and I will update the list as new information comes in! Other schools would like to see MCAT scores if they are available, but it is not a sole requirement.

• Like Like x 1
  2. Thomas Hall

Thomas Hall New Member

Ratings:
    +8 / 0 / -0
    In New Zealand the medical school requires you do one year first year health science which has human body, chemistry, physics, cells and biochem and human body 2 and English as well. Before the year ends, you need to take a Umat test which is similar to the Mcat test. There are 126 questions, it was when I did it before last year could have increased and the cost to sit can be different depending on where you doing it. The medical school is around 5 years since Health science is your first year so the next 4 is the medical school years you spend to become a doctor and be able to work. The questions make you think, and see what you would do in the scenario and test your brain to the limit and some questions can be easy or hard as I found it to be.

• Like Like x 3
  3. rosequartz

rosequartz Member

Ratings:
    +95 / 0 / -0
    • Like Like x 3
  4. MedEdGuru

MedEdGuru Administrator
    Staff Member

Ratings:
    +83 / 0 / -0
    Thanks rosequartz I should add those schools to the list as well. Yes there are some schools in Pakistan (King Edward Medical University i believe) that also requires the MCAT since they are a 4-5 year program.

Since this year the MCAT 2015 changed, I wonder how many of the international schools know about these changes and how to read the scores!

• Like Like x 3
  5. rosequartz

rosequartz Member

Ratings:
    +95 / 0 / -0
    No problem! Yes, King Edward Medical University (KEMU) is the most renowned and best medical university in Pakistan.
    The new MCAT score calculation method has made it even harder to score in the top percentile. I'll try to find the video I came
    across once that explained interpreting the MCAT score really well.

• Like Like x 2
  6. QuickSelver

QuickSelver Active Member

Ratings:
    +113 / 0 / -0
    Are these schools like the ones in the first post and King Edward Medical University (KEMU) offering a MCAT testing location or are you on your own when it comes to finding a center?

7. rosequartz

rosequartz Member

Ratings:
    +95 / 0 / -0
    Yes, the Australian medical universities offer four year programs and the ones in Pakistan offer five year degree programs.
    As for the MCAT testing centers, here is a list.
    So, you are sort of left to find on your own to find one.

8. QuickSelver

Ratings:
    +113 / 0 / -0
    So just by skimming the list and this thread i see two schools that now require the MCAT but don't have MCAT testing locations in their country.

University of Zagreb, Croatia
    King Edward Medical University (KEMU)

How is this fair for students, you ask for something but don't provide the means to obtain that something (ask for mcat but don't offer testing location).
    Traveling places to take entrance exams can be very pricey. Trust me I have done it; Airfare, Hotel, Food and on top of that a nice fee to take the exam...

9. rosequartz

rosequartz Member

Ratings:
    +95 / 0 / -0
    You're right, it's not. But what can be done about it? In Pakistan, the MCAT is equivalent to SAT II scores and the local MCAT (the name of the exam is the same, but the content is way different). Usually, the foreign students that apply there either use the American MCAT or SAT II scores instead of the local MCAT. On ground, majority of students give the local MCAT as there are many centers spread throughout the country.

10. QuickSelver

Ratings:
    +113 / 0 / -0
    Its great that they offer a local MCAT exam as an alternative to having to travel across many countries to find a MCAT test center.

How does the local one compare to the US one?

11. MedEdGuru

MedEdGuru Administrator
    Staff Member

Ratings:
    +83 / 0 / -0
    rosequartz In pakistan I believe they have 4 year medical programs that require the MCAT and 6 year medical schools that require the SAT. Which one do you prefer is better? i see that the 4 year schools are modeled after the US med schools but I am wondering if students struggle with the 4 year or 6 year more.

my friends went to KEMU - king edward medical school however they went to the 4 yr medical program but they graduateed with bachelors in the US before

12. rosequartz

rosequartz Member

Ratings:
    +95 / 0 / -0
    The local MCAT varies from the American MCAT because of the different education system. In Pakistan unlike the US, Medicine is Bachelor and not a Master degree and is abbreviated as M.B.B.S (Bachelor of Medicine and bachelor of surgery). The professional school pathways are integrated into the last two years of high school so rising junior high school students choose the pre-medical, pre-engineering and other professional school pathways or even arts/humanities tracks depending on their interests. So, the local MCAT tests high school students. The exam is of 1100 marks, lasts 150 minutes and comprises 220 MCQs divided into four sections; biology(88Q), chemistry (58Q), physics(44Q) and English (30Q). Each MCQ carries five marks and there is negative marking (six marks deducted for a wrong answer, zero for blank). Pre-medical and pre-dental students from all over the country compete for around 3,000 seats in public medical and dental institutions. And then, through a merit aggregate formula (50% MCAT score, 40% HSSC score, and 10% Matric* score), the merit for Medicine and Dentistry by the testing authority (UHS) is chosen and all the students who have a higher or equivalent aggregate are selected and placed in the university they matched to, which is usually one of the universities they chose while applying to take the entrance exam.

*The freshman and sophomore years of high school are termed Matric, while HSSC or FSc is the term for junior and senior years of high school.

All over Pakistan, the medical degree is a five year program plus a year of internship. And to accommodate foreign students applicants interested in applying to public or private medical schools, it was decided by the testing authorities that SAT or the American MCAT can substitute for the local MCAT. And so, a high school equivalency from IBCC was made mandatory for foreign candidates. Now for preference, I like KEMU and NUST Army Medical College (for this students take the annual NUST NET exam sessions held during the first half of the year). But given the fierce competition in Pakistan that goes down to 0.001%, if a student makes it to any of the UHS affiliated medical institutions on open merit or even in private ones, that's a great accomplishment and a true blessing.

I can't be sure, but if your friend got into a four year program, she could be pursuing an MD (Specialization degree) program because an MBBS degree is six years at KEMU. (Cllick here for details. Durations are stated in the regulations for MD/MS... programs. I'll try to find a better link). And well, medical school is a struggle at first, but everyone seems to adjust afterwards. If Pakistan introduced a four year program, I imagine that would be really tough because if they integrate the first two years together then I can't imagine how students would study all of the basic clinical sciences in a single year. *shudders*

I hope this helps to some extent. :)

13. QuickSelver

Ratings:
    +113 / 0 / -0
    rosequartz great information! MedRookie maybe we could somehow put this into a FAQ or something along those lines where it would be easily accessible?

• Like Like x 2
  14. rosequartz

rosequartz Member

Ratings:
    +95 / 0 / -0
    #14 rosequartz, Apr 19, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 19, 2015
    QuickSelver I appreciate your comment. But, I don't think it would fit in the FAQ section. :)

I couldn't find the video on the new MCAT score breakdown, but here's a helpful link.

EDIT: Added additional information and link.

15. Mr.Cat

Mr.Cat New Member

Ratings:
    +2 / 0 / -0
    Once again the adoption of a standardized exam would solve the issues of students having to consider taking multiple exams. Between the MCAT, IMAT, BMAT they should be able to put together one thats accepted by all.

Im in the process of looking into the IMAT exam.. Thanks for the info

16. yuriokon

yuriokon New Member

Ratings:
    +4 / 0 / -0
    I completely agree it needs to be standardized testing for all.