Find answers, ask questions, and connect with our community around the world.

  • Practicing Medicine in the USA – Steps for a foreign IMG

    Posted by MedRookie on December 24, 2015 at 3:04 pm

    Medical students who are currently studying outside the USA (both foreigners and US citizens) and are interested in practicing in the USA must plan EARLY. You have a better chance applying for a residency (training) program in the USA as a final year medical student than a graduate. Why practice in the USA?
    – Highest paid salaries for physicians. Specialities pay more – cardiologists can make 450,000 per year and internal medicine doctors make approximately 150,000 per year (depending on state)
    – You can get a job anywhere in the USA, doctors are always in demand
    – Long work hours, typically more than other countries
    – Residency is HELL. But once you get out of it, you are alive and ok!


    1. Apply for clinical electives in the USA. You will need to show some experiences that you had in the USA. Try to find electives and rotate in clinics in the year before your final year.
    2. Study for the USMLE Step 1 and Step 2 exam. Most students take Step 2 after they graduate.
    3. ECFMG Certification You need certification from the Educational Commission for Foreign Medical Graduates (ECFMG). ECFMG assesses the readiness of international medical graduates to enter US residency or fellowship programs. You can find out more at
    4. ERAS Application -You will need to begin the ERAS application by September 1st. Submit your application EARLY! And make sure you rank order as many programs as you can to get a match!

    This is a great blog post which has more detailed information about each step:

    MedRookie replied 7 years, 1 month ago 0 Member · 0 Replies
  • 0 Replies

    Sorry, there were no replies found.